fredag 1 juli 2011

Sugar paste

The first time I used sugar paste, I actually purchased it ready-made. Then following happened:
- I read the ingredients' list
- I tried to work with it and it dried out within a very very short period of time and turned hard
Then I found this recipe at Bakglädje and so I collected courage and gave it a try.
The original recipe with some light modification comes below.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon gelatin powder
60gr cold water (0,6 dl)
175gr white syrup (1,25 dl) (according to reliable sources, it can be substituted with glucose)
1 tablespoon glycerol (which seems to be the same as glycerine)*
2 tablespoons neutral oil or coconut fat (rape oil works)
800-900gr confectioner's sugar (I opted for the 800gr and it seemed to work fine)
0,5 teaspoon vanilla extract
Icing colour can be used for colouring

Instructions
Mix the gelatin powder with the cold water in a metal bowl and let it rest until it absorbs and becomes thick. Now it is time to melt the mixture by putting the bowl over a pot with cooking water. The gelatine will melt down and become fluid. Now add syrup and glycerol and mix together thoroughly. Mix in the oil and remove the bowl from the heat. Note: I did not get any glycerol as the pharmacy I went to did not have it in stock. But the result was doubtful and wrinkled. So I do believe that you do need it. You can also add the vanilla extract now and according to the original recipe also coloring. Personally, I prefer to let it white and color it when ready with different colors (so I only need one batch for all colors). But I guess, it becomes more "pro"-like if you do it as originally thought?! Here again, I haven't tried and probably won't either unless proven necessary first.

I put the mixture in my Kitchen Aid with dough tool and added little confectioner's sugar at the time. Or at least I started out with "a little at the time" and got bored pretty quickly. So I added everything at one time and the Kitchen Aid handled the "little at the time" per default (it takes some time until everything is mixed in anyways). I had only 800gr sugar and I felt it was enough. The resulting sugar paste did not dry out at all during the 5 days the cake lasted. Which I personally think that is ideal. My guess is, the more sugar you add, the quicker it dries. But I haven't really "tested" and I very likely never will on purpose. :O) I have the feeling you want the sugar paste to dry quickly if you do flowers or stuff. But I do not really know...

Do not worry that the mixture is sticky. It will become malleable with time. I personally think it looks very very good after mixing. Had it not been so sticky and sweet, I probably would have eaten half... :O) I took a picture, but unfortunately I probably forgot the memory card in the camera...

Put the mixture in plastic film and cover it up completely with multiple layers to avoid drying out. In the original recipe, it is recommended to put it in a plastic bag and an air tight jar, I didn't as I did not read the original recipe as thoroughly as I should, but nothing "scary" happened.

Let the mixture rest for at least 24h. Theoretically, it can be preserved for a very long time as it is basically mostly sugar. But I haven't tested it myself yet. Probably, here, putting it in an air-tight jar becomes much more important. It does not need to be in the fridge. I let mine at room temperature.

I colored my sugar paste before usage with different colors. I used "gelatin colors" as that is the only edible color I got. The manufacturers of such colors state they are necessary for all cake baking and should not be substituted by caramel color that influence the consistency of the final result. Me not sure. But I believe in all kinds of marketing messages ;O)

But, hey, all summed up, I was rather satisfied with the result apart from the "wrinkle" problem.... Next time I will go out of my way to find glycerol, really!

Note: I found the Glycerol in a Pharmacy. Do not get scared by the fact it tells it is for conservation of leaves and stuff. I have wikied it and it seems it is edible. The result was much less "wrinkly" so make sure you have it in the mixture.

Note: Try to colour into the sugar paste in advance. Ideally directly after you actually have done the sugar paste. I did not do it that way, but it became very difficult to handle and it became cracked. If not directly, at least some day or two in advance so it sits a little before you need to use the sugar paste.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar